Hello

Sunday, October 07, 2007

$220 and a big brown welcome

I just got back from Baltimore, where I had a great time hanging out with ergonomists, cognitive psychologists, and various other "-ists". I was invited to speak at the annual Human Factors and Ergonomics Society (of which I am a member) conference. I spoke on the topic of Medication Safety technology in the ICU ... sexy stuff.

I found out at the conference that I won the student paper award in the Healthcare subgroup. Since I didn't even know I entered the competition, I was both surprised and pretty excited. The exposure and the $200 check were both quite welcome.

This unexpected windfall (I'm counting it as a windfall!) came on the heels of my first paycheck as a fitness instructor at my gym. Ok, ok ... substitute fitness instructor. And the check was only $20. But it was a very cool $20.

So, I was pretty high on myself as I returned from my three days out of town. We touched down in Columbus, I got in my car, and as I was closing the garage door at home, Sarah and Henry rolled into the driveway. This cemented my transition from conquering hero to mild-mannered father. I made some dinner for the fam, and got Henry in the bath.

This is where Henry made sure that I knew the definition of humility. As the bath was winding down, I saw that he was, well, farting a lot. We started talking about how big boys go poopy in the potty, and we both agreed that the potty was the proper place to do such things. After about two minutes of this conversation, though, Henry must not have been convinced. You probably already know the punchline: more poop in the bathtub! Arrrgh!

I think that there's a parable in there somewhere. Fill in your own moral of the story.

No comments: