Hello

Monday, October 15, 2007

Alright, I'm in ... Blog Action Day

Alright James, you got me thinking about this. Blog action day is about a simple concept: what if we all (I mean all the bloggers here) blogged on the same topic on the same day? What would happen. I just found out about this, so I have 47 minutes left to officially be part of the movement.

So I'll need to type fast.

How do I fit in a plea to think about and save the environment into our blog? What grand statement can I make? I am, after all, the owner of two cars with V6 engines (although both sport high-20's MPG on the highway, it's not sayin' much), a house with less-than-efficient windows, a two-year old in disposable diapers, and live in a country (proudly, I might add) that contributes more than it's fair share to global climate change.

Here are my meager contributions to the environment. I am buying local produce and goods whenever I can. I am only buying pocket fluorescent light bulbs to replace the incandescents that burn out. We're reusing food containers instead of buying disposables. And we're paying to recycle, even though it's free to just throw out anything we want (this one burns me ... how will recycling take off it costs more, in effort and $$$, than just pitching it?)

OK, so I'm not doing as much as I can. Duly noted. Maybe this post raised a bit of awareness though.

1 comment:

J Thornburg said...

Before I posted I asked myself about my "optimism" towards the future, and although I'm doing what I can from an environmental standpoint (with CFL's, cloth Giant Eagle bags, carpooling with my wife and so on), I'm still waiting for a voice. Although the father in me wants nothing but the best for my child, I can't help but show some skepticism.

Al Gore's Nobel prize has been written off as plastic, the guy that directed "Who Killed the Electric Car" has said that GM is now "doing good stuff," and bloggers are posting en masse about the environment on an assigned day, but a slate.com photo essay showed the real action taking place while we post on our blogs...Monks being slayed in Burma, the plight of Darfur, a protest pictorial of Viet Nam protesters from the late 60's/early 70's, and so on. It made me understand we're only taking moderated baby steps.

Where is our action outside of the keystrokes of the blogosphere?

When the extraordinary thinkers are creating and developing solutions, but being written off as reactionary partisan ecofreaks, WHEN will they *truly* be understood in a respectful way that results in change? For every offset we create, will our consumerist minds not fill the gap with another H2? When will frugality be accepted as necessity?