Hello

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Periodontal Surgery: Not fun

NOTE: no pictures on this one. You're welcome.

So, after a year of being really mad at my dental insurance, trying to figure out a flexible spending account, and generally dragging my feet (my excuse? A rough pregnancy and a French Fry!), I finally got the periodontal surgery that I needed. I would like to take this moment to thank the genetic c0cktail that sent my grandmother, mother and father for the same surgery.

Worst part? The 4 hours of cutting, scraping, and sewing? Nope. The novocaine. Almost passed out. Had to request a pre-sedative (pre-sedative?). Which they had to send someone (in their car) to go get while I was in the chair. Or maybe they called Cafe Courier. I was a bit busy at the time.

It was very strange listening my tunes (thank you thank you iPhone!) while they were doing their work. I started with an audiobook, but I couldn't concentrate on it. I switched to Medeski, Martin, and Wood, then finished with Beirut. Very very cool. I great way to dissociate myself what was going on, but still able to listen for instructions.

Craziest part? They numbed me up so much that my nose went numb. It (and my mouth) is finally past that, and I'm on serious pain medication. But doing fine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.